It's depressing enough as a Seattle Sports fan when considering the following:
- The Seattle Sonics were the 2nd worst team in the NBA
- Despite their 2nd worst team standing, they ended up getting the 4th pick in the draft removing all chances of grabbing Michael Beasley or Derrick Rose
- Oh ya, and they might end up moving to Oklahoma....
- UW football ended being last in the Pac-10
- The UW basketball team missed the big dance, and ended up losing in the weakest post-season tournament, the CBI
- And although the Seahawks had a great season and won their conference, they failed to make it to the NFL Championship game, and their superbowl chances seem to be getting smaller and smaller
Our one perceived strength by fans and players alike (check out the latest sports illustrated players poll, in which 8% of baseball thought we had the best rotation, the 4th strongest in the poll)..sucks. Pitching has been horrendous, so far on this road trip the opposing team has scored an average of 11 runs and the Mariners have lost by an average 6 runs. Obviously this will get better, but seriously, something like this shouldn't even happen to a pitching staff that was thought of as the 4th strongest in the league.
It'd be a mistake to just blame the starting pitching. Our fielding is also horrendous, everyone is making errors, our offense only drives in runs when it doesn't matter, our bullpen was shaky when we were winning games, and now the bullpen doesn't even matter when the starters are allowing so many runs.
I agree 100% with Geoff Baker at the Seattle Times that the players need to be held accountable. But for right now, I'd just like the sinking ship to stop sinking, so I could instead enjoy this beautiful weather with a decent baseball team, not the worst in the MLB. no comments